Thursday, October 29, 2009

Purple Butterfly Shirred Dress

I made this very simple and gorgeous frilly dress and love that you don't need a pattern, just a tape measure to get the top part the correct size. I have never attempted shirring before and definately need to tweak my technique, but I could see this being the only thing I do! I just think I had the tension too tight and will muck around with that later.



All you need to do is cut up 6inch strips, or smaller if desired (I loved the smaller contrast fabric)and stitched up the lengths together (make sure you have about 6 lengths of each fabric...you may need more material for the bottom rows) , I overlocked the edges and worked out what size I needed for the top part and started shirring (approx 3 times the childs chest measurement)

With the remaining material, I stitched across one edge and had the tension set to gather it as I sewed so that cut out a lot of time. Each layer you attach the gathered side to the previous layer until you have reached the desired length, than sew up the back seam (inspired by this tutorial), hem the bottom edge and attach ribbons for the straps ensuring that you have sealed the ends of the ribbon with a lighter.

Embellish it as needed....

One very cute, simple, and very twirly dress!!!

2 comments:

  1. Its so beautiful, its things like this that make me want ttry for umber 4, and get a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! I'm glad the twirly skirt tutorial was helpful, I love what you did with it. This will be the next summer dress I make for the girls.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Contact Me